Best Portrait Lens for Sony A6000: Top Picks and Buying Guide
Portrait photography is a popular genre that captures the essence of a person’s character and emotions. A good portrait lens can make all the difference in creating a striking and memorable image. For Sony A6000 users, choosing the right portrait lens can be overwhelming due to the numerous options available in the market.
When selecting a portrait lens for Sony A6000, there are several factors to consider. The most critical factor is the focal length of the lens. A portrait lens should have a focal length of 50mm or higher to produce a natural-looking image. Another essential aspect is the aperture of the lens. A wide aperture, such as f/1.8 or f/1.4, allows for a shallow depth of field, which helps to isolate the subject from the background and create a beautiful bokeh effect.
Other factors to consider when selecting a portrait lens include the lens’s weight, size, and autofocus speed. A lightweight and compact lens is ideal for portraiture, as it allows for easy handling and maneuvering. Fast and accurate autofocus is also crucial in capturing sharp and in-focus portraits, especially when shooting moving subjects.
After researching and testing multiple portrait lenses for Sony A6000, we have identified the top contenders that produce exceptional results. Our top picks offer excellent image quality, fast autofocus, and a wide aperture for beautiful bokeh.
Best Portrait Lens for Sony A6000
When it comes to portrait photography, the right lens can make all the difference. A good portrait lens should be able to capture sharp details, beautiful bokeh, and accurate skin tones. As Sony A6000 is a popular mirrorless camera among photographers, we have compiled a list of the best portrait lenses that are compatible with Sony A6000. These lenses are carefully selected based on their image quality, focal length, aperture, and overall value for money. Whether you’re a professional photographer or an amateur enthusiast, these lenses will help you take stunning portraits that will stand out from the rest.
Lightdow 85mm F1.8 Medium Telephoto Manual Focus Full Frame Portrait Lens for Sony Alpha A9 A7R A7S A7 A6500 A6400 A6300 A6000 A5100 A5000 NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5T NEX-5R etc For Sony Mirrorless Camera
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the Lightdow 85mm F1.8 is a great option. We’ve tested it out and here’s what we found.
- Portrait-perfect sharpness and bokeh: Great sharpness and smooth bokeh of a well-designed mid-range telephoto prime lens for portraiture, and the LD85F18E is a standout choice.
- Large Aperture: With a large F1.8 maximum aperture, this lens delivers outstanding image quality and a pleasing bokeh quality to further enhance shallow depth of field images.
- Compatible with Sony A6000: This lens is compatible with Sony A9 / A7R III / A7R II / A7R / A7S II / A7S / A7 III / A7 II / A7 / NEX-7 / NEX-6 / NEX-5 / NEX-5N / NEX-5R / NEX-5T / NEX-3 / NEX-C3 / NEX-F3 / NEX-3N / A6500 / A6300 / A6000 / A5100 / A5000 / A3000 / QX1.
- Full Manual Focus Operation: This lens requires complete manual focus operation on DSLR camera to align with lens body, NOT suitable for SLR beginners, recommended for photographers with excellent experience in equipment.
- Challenging to Use: Tips to use this manual lens – 1) Set the mode dial to Manual (M). 2) Set the Release w/o Lens option in the camera menu to Enable. 3) Set the Shutter lock option in the camera menu to Off: no lens.
- No Zoom or Auto Focus: This lens cannot zoom and cannot auto focus, which may be a downside for some users.
The Lightdow 85mm F1.8 is a great budget option for portrait photography on the Sony A6000. The sharpness and bokeh are impressive, and the large aperture delivers outstanding image quality. However, the full manual focus operation and lack of zoom or auto focus may be challenging for some users. Overall, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly portrait lens for your Sony A6000, this is a great option.
If you’re in the market for a high-quality portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the VILTROX 85mm F1.8 Mark II STM Full Frame Portrait Lens is definitely worth considering.
- With its 85mm focal length and F1.8 to F16 aperture range, this lens is perfect for portrait photography, allowing you to capture stunning background defocusing effects and help your subject stand out effortlessly.
- The lens is equipped with noiseless STM focus motor, metal electronic contact, 10 elements in 7 groups, including 1 ED lens and 4 short wave length and high transparent lens, ensuring that your photos are sharp and clear.
- Supports EXIF information transmission, electronic automatic iris adjustment, and records image’s information and shooting data, making it easy to keep track of your work.
- Autofocus is not perfect and may require some manual adjustments to get the desired results.
- At 2.2 pounds, this lens is a bit on the heavy side, which may make it less convenient to carry around for extended periods of time.
- While the lens is made of high-quality materials and features HD Nano multilayer coating, it may not be as durable as some other options on the market.
Overall, we highly recommend the VILTROX 85mm F1.8 Mark II STM Full Frame Portrait Lens for anyone looking to take their portrait photography to the next level. Its combination of high-quality optics, advanced features, and affordable price make it an excellent choice for both amateur and professional photographers alike.
We highly recommend purchasing the Meike 35mm F1.4 Lens for Sony A6000 if you’re looking for a high-quality portrait lens at an affordable price.
- Smooth bokeh effect for beautiful portraits
- Wide angle lens is great for landscape and product photography
- Works with all Sony E-mount cameras, including the A6000
- Manual lens requires you to enable “M mode” or “Release without lens” in camera settings
- Softness at maximum aperture of 1.4
- Heavy and solid construction may be too bulky for some users
We recently had the opportunity to test out the Meike 35mm F1.4 Lens on our Sony A6000 camera, and we were impressed with the results. The smooth bokeh effect created beautiful portraits with a nice blur in the background, and the wide angle lens was perfect for landscape and product photography.
While the lens is manual, we didn’t find it difficult to use once we enabled the proper settings on our camera. However, the softness at the maximum aperture of 1.4 was noticeable in some shots, so it may not be the best lens for low light situations where you need a sharp focus.
The construction of the lens is heavy and solid, which may be a downside for some users who prefer a lighter weight. However, we appreciated the sturdy build and felt it added to the overall quality of the lens.
Overall, we think the Meike 35mm F1.4 Lens is a great option for those looking for a high-quality portrait lens at an affordable price. Its wide angle and smooth bokeh effect make it a versatile lens for a variety of photography needs.
If you’re looking for a high-quality portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the Sony SEL35F18 is a great choice. Its compact design and excellent image quality make it a great “second lens” to carry around with you.
- Excellent image quality with great background/foreground blur
- Compact and lightweight design
- Effective image stabilization for both photos and videos
- Fixed focal length may not be suitable for all situations
- Price point may be higher than some other portrait lenses
- May not be compatible with all Sony camera models
The Sony SEL35F18 is a great lens for capturing stunning portraits with your Sony A6000. Its fast f/1.8 maximum aperture allows for beautiful bokeh and low-light performance, while its built-in image stabilization helps ensure sharp, blur-free shots. The lens is also compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry around with you wherever you go.
One potential downside of the SEL35F18 is its fixed focal length of 35mm, which may not be suitable for all situations. Additionally, the lens may be more expensive than some other portrait lenses on the market, which could be a drawback for budget-conscious photographers. Finally, it’s worth noting that the SEL35F18 may not be compatible with all Sony camera models, so be sure to check compatibility before making a purchase.
Overall, if you’re looking for a high-quality portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the Sony SEL35F18 is definitely worth considering. Its excellent image quality, compact design, and effective image stabilization make it a great choice for capturing stunning portraits and other types of photos.
If you’re looking for a versatile portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the Viltrox 56mm F1.4 STM Auto Focus APS-C Prime Lens is definitely worth considering.
- Produces stunning portraits with excellent depth of field and beautiful bokeh
- Quick and precise autofocus with eye focus performance and minimal vibration and noise
- Lightweight and compact for excellent mobility and handling
- May struggle with autofocus in low light conditions
- Some users have reported edge-bloom or other issues with the lens
- Not the most budget-friendly option on the market
With a maximum aperture of F1.4, this lens is great for low-light conditions and delivers high corner-to-corner resolution. The 56mm focal length and electronic aperture capabilities of advanced E-mount bodies make it possible to capture emotional portraits with excellent depth of field. The lens is also lightweight and compact, making it easy to handle and travel with.
However, some users have reported issues with autofocus in low light conditions, and there have been reports of edge-bloom or other issues with the lens. Additionally, the Viltrox 56mm F1.4 STM Auto Focus APS-C Prime Lens is not the most budget-friendly option on the market.
Overall, if you’re looking for a high-quality portrait lens for your Sony A6000, the Viltrox 56mm F1.4 STM Auto Focus APS-C Prime Lens is definitely worth considering. It produces stunning portraits with beautiful bokeh and is quick and precise with autofocus. However, it may struggle in low light conditions and is not the most budget-friendly option out there.
When it comes to choosing the best portrait lens for Sony A6000, there are several factors that you should consider. Here are some key features to look for:
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a portrait lens is the aperture. A wide aperture (low f-number) allows for a shallower depth of field, which can help to blur the background and make your subject stand out. Look for a lens with an aperture of f/1.8 or wider for the best results.
The focal length of your lens will also play a role in the look of your portraits. A longer focal length (85mm or longer) can help to compress the image and make your subject appear more flattering. However, a shorter focal length (50mm or shorter) can be more versatile and allow you to capture wider shots as well.
Image stabilization can be a helpful feature to have, especially if you plan on shooting handheld or in low light conditions. Look for a lens with built-in image stabilization for the best results.
Of course, price is always a consideration when choosing a lens. While it can be tempting to go for the most expensive option, there are plenty of affordable portrait lenses available for the Sony A6000. Look for a lens that fits within your budget while still offering the features you need.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best portrait lens for your Sony A6000 and capture stunning images of your subjects.